A couple of miles off the coast of North Berwick, in the middle of the Firth of Forth, stands a massive lump of volcanic rock. Despite its imposing appearance, the Island has been inhabited by humans until relatively recently. There are records of the Bass being the site of a Christian Hermitage back as far as 600AD. During the 13th century, the Scottish Nobleman Robert Lauder built a fortification on the site, which was purchased by the Crown in 1671 and was used as a prison for a number of decades. In 1902, a lighthouse was built on the Rock, designed by David Stevenson, cousin of author Robert Louis Stevenson, who features the Bass in one of his novels. Whilst still in use, the Lighthouse has been automated since 1988, leaving the Island free of human inhabitants. Since the humans left, another inhabitant of the Rock has thrived – the Northern Gannet.